Re: Spectral density [was: Re: Inkjet transparencies ]

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 04/03/02-11:28:27 PM Z

Tom,

I am assuming you are using dye based inks? Is that correct?

I wonder about any difference between pigment and dye based inks.

Mark Nelson
In a message dated 4/3/02 5:03:24 PM, tomf2468@pipeline.com writes:

<< I've made digital negs using Dan's color fill method for for platinum,
cyanotype, kallitype, and gum. All have been acceptable.

>From Dan's book and what I've read here, I wonder if the brand/type of ink
isn't an important variable?? I suspect some inks block UV better than
others (not just a color issue). I'm using "Darn Good Ink" from Inkjet mall
(love that name) on an Epson 1200 printer. This is marketed as a direct
replacement (although cheaper) for Epson ink.

I have to decrease Dan's suggested shadow contrast and increase his
highlight contrast in all cases. Not a bad thing, I get a straighter curve
than he uses :-)

I used the word "acceptable" above. I do have a few issues. I haven't worked
out exact curves for my platinum or Cyanotype methods. I "believe" I'm
getting a SLIGHT loss in resolution compared to optically enlarged negs. I
haven't tried image setter output, just desktop printers. For a couple
series I'm working on (gum prints and kallitype on cloth) the slight loss of
resolution is a "non-issue", so I'm very happy.

Let the "negative" dry ink/face up and untouched for 20 minutes before use
or you(I) may get smudging and loss of resolution.

--
Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com >>