Re: downside-up in Pyro

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 04/04/02-12:43:27 PM Z

One of the reasons people advocate developing sheet film face down is to
avoid scratches. The idea is that as you shuffle the films in the tray, as
you bring the bootom sheet up to the top, you could drag the emulsion
against the sharp corners of the other films. In my experience this holds
some merit. But if one is careful, uses a big tray and pulls the bottom
sheet clear of the other films while shuffling, there should be no problem.

To avoid bubbles is first, presoak the film in plain water or a 1% sodium
metaborate solution (Pyro, per Book of Pyro). Then don't drop the films into
the trays, slide them in. This is hard to explain, much easier in real life.
Slip the film into the solution at an angle. When the film is under the
solution. Lift slightly to release any trapped air. Works like a charm.

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ