RE: traffic

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 04/07/02-10:48:33 AM Z

Hi:

Sorry all. I've been very busy and have had little time for the list in
the last two weeks. (things are getting back to normal)

I realize the list is very high volume. For those who don't want to get
all the messages there is a web mirror of the list at:

http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg/photo/current

This is a collection of the current messages. After they messages are
removed from this site I move them to the archive.

In order to do this I save at least an entire month's worth of postings(
as well as 5 other photography mailing lists on my email account). I
don't know if other people have trouble saving this volume of email.

One does not even have to be subscribed to follow this list.

As for turning this into a newsgroup I don't think I will ever do it.

Most email programs are capable of managing and sorting email in fairly
sophisticated ways.

The quality of information that is exchanged on this list will decrease
drastically if it were made a newsgroup.

The problem with newsgroups is that anyone can post a message to a
newsgroup. A newsgroup will create a situation where a lot of the
postings are from people who have never contributed to this group and will
not likely contribute again. There will be lots of "whats a platinum
print" and who's got the greatest zoom lens etc. etc.

A newsgroup will only increase the volume of information exchanged and
most of this new content would be of little value.

I created this mailing list after following many of the photography usenet
groups for a number of years. I found the usenet photo groups almost
useless. While they were easy to access, it was rare finding something of
value in them.

The respect, committment and honesty that pervades this community would
be quickly lost if it were to chnage into a newsgroup.

If someone else wishes to make an alt-photo usenet group, feel free to try
it though.

Gord Holtslander
list manager

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2