gelatin coating

From: Witho Worms en Jorien van Santen (verzet13@xs4all.nl)
Date: 04/08/02-07:09:03 AM Z

I have two questions concerning the coating of gelatin on papers.
First : Last night I tried to coat Rives BFk with a 5% gelatin/ 1%
aluminiumpotassiumsulfate solution. I coated the papers with a hake brush.
The paper should be used for carbon double transfer or, after some extra
coats, as an oilpaper. Very tiny bubbles now show as little shiny specks.
Will these specks harm the final print ? or should I use those papers just
for tests ? Is there a remedy against these specks or bubbles ?
I have the impression that the alum creates more viscosity in the gelatin
and is therefore harder to coat. Is it not simpler to give a paper coated
with a plain solution of gelatin a hardening bath afterwards (I am thinking
about carbon now) in formaline or glyoxal?
Second question : Nze Christian wrote that Rifes BFk can be made suitable as
a platinum paper by coating it with a 1% gelatin/1% alum/1% oxalic acid
solution. Why is there need for the alum ? Why should the gelatin get
hardened ?

Witho