Re: photography and painting

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/09/02-08:30:34 PM Z

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Farah Mahbub wrote:

> Salaam to everyone
>
> This summer I will teaching photography to a small group of fine arts
> students ... I think it would be interesting for them ..... if I gave them a
> lecture on how close photography and painting have been in history .. would
> love it if you guys contribute to my info collection that I have been doing
> these days . thank you

Having given a series of lectures on that very topic myself (also to fine
art students, including docents at ICP), I predict that you will be as
astonished as they will. They will be astonished by the idea, and you will
be astonished that they are so astonished -- and all will be
delighted. (Of course that was several years ago, the mix of painting and
photography not as familiar as today... but I bet they'll STILL be
astonished.)

Far and away the best book on the topic (and it is WONDERFUL) is Aaron
Scharf's "Art and Photography," Penguin Press, reprinted pb 1983 & 1986.
ISBN 0 1400.67736. My comment in the P-F bibliography is, "The original,
major, & still best reference work about photography's influence on
painting. An education in itself. Beg, borrow or steal it."

I'll add here that it was widely distributed & in print for some time (if
not still), so odds are good for finding a copy.

Van Deren Coke had a good book on the topic also about 10 years before
that. Scharf's was paperback, Coke's was coffee table. But there's one by
an Englishwoman whose name I forget (something like Marion Warner??)
that's terrible. No insight, little info, just lists of names.

However, if you can dig up a copy of Aaron Scharf's other book, "Creative
Photography," Reinhold, 1965 Lib of Congress catalog #65-13370, it is
delicious, wonderful, collector's item, but long out of print.

(Both references from "Violating the Medium" bibliography, P-F #3. pp 17
& 18. Did you think I just knew that offhand?)

best,

Judy

 Of the >