gloves RE: Platinum respirator

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/09/02-09:09:01 PM Z

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, David Oliver wrote:

> A related question too - how important is it to wear gloves when printing
> and when developing using the Mike Ware cyanotype chemicals? I use a 2%
> citric acid solution for the developer.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to wear gloves for handling ANY chemicals, let alone
the more poisonous Ware chemicals. Even if citric acid is benign, there
will be traces of the others.

The skin is a permeable membrane, especially with any kind of nick or cut,
the stuff goes right into the bloodstream. Equally important, ALLERGY
arrives full blown & then too late.

Also, photographers (it seems, I've read in a couple of places) have a
one-third higher death rate from cancer than the population at large.
Liver cancer especially. Co-incidence????

Which is to say, why press your luck?

J.