Re: Heat drying

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 04/11/02-09:11:00 AM Z

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Eric Neilsen wrote:
>
> > Bob, I would suggest that it has more to do with how you heat rather
than
> > if you heat. The technique of using a hair drier has most certainly
been a
> > quick avenue of death for some printers. As with any tool, some just
don't
> > get it. Did you rehumidify the paper after you dried them? how hot was
> > your paper? distance to paper? duration of heating? in other words,
what
> > is the quality of the heat of your heat source?
>
> Probably few generalizations are possible... except how about the
> following...
>
> 1. If you "cook" gum with heat, it's NOT going to be reversible.

agreed

> 2. If other media can be brought back to their original "nature" after
> heat drying by letting them rehumidify, you have introduced MORE
> variables, and the need for ever more precise timing.

I don't believe there are more variables here. Dry your paper the same way
each time, humidify it the same way each time. I have two boxes that stays
very stable, one for heating and one for humidifing. Each of these is about
3ft by 3ft by 4ft. And while it is true that different paper require more of
less time, the paper itself should not change from day to day ( at least not
much ) , so established procedures for specific papers.

EJ Neilsen