THE MIRACULOUS IN THE MUNDANE

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 04/11/02-11:17:14 AM Z

DEAR LISA,
    I have been following the Tree vs. City thread for a while now. I used
to live in NYC and regularly worked in Paris, Munich, Milan, London, L.A.,
Rio and Sao Paolo. I now live on an nice little tropical paradise Island,
Barbados, a five minute walk from the wind swept,surf washed east coast. I
moved here to be closer to nature and especially the sea. The country side
and light here are fantastic. People from the First World pay a heck of a
lot of money to come here on vacation. However, when people ask me where I
go on vacation (because most people want to come here) I respond, Florence,
Paris and even New York. There is beauty all around us if we keep our
hearts, eyes and minds open. Of course we have personal preferences but, in
keeping with Gregory's post, I must quote a Zen story where a Zen master
claims that every day is beautiful regardless of the weather. CAN YOU FIND
THE BEAUTY? IS YOUR HEAR OPEN TO IT? Rainy day? Cold snowy day? Hot
blistering day? City scape? Land scape? Seascape? Street fair? Crumbling
"alphabet city" tenement? Three hundred year old Baobab tree?
    I love the smell and color of the sea as the sun sets behind me and the
full moon rises simultaneously out of the sea into a pastel blue and pink
sky. I also love the smell of paint and mixed perfumes and the vision of
all the preening people at an opening in a NYC gallery. Even the Paris
metro has beauty and interest. In Florence you have to STRIVE not to
stumble on beauty. Sure there is ugliness everywhere as well. Simply
choose. Just once try to find the miraculous in what you feel is
mundane...it is an amazing experience. Let finding beauty become a habit
regardless of where you are. PLEASE don't let those whom you hate because
they have tried to indoctrinate you to their biases bias you against what
they liked. It is natural to feel negative to what has been forced upon
you. Hate the indoctrinator...not the aesthetic.
    All of that said, though I still love Manhattan, no amount of money in
the world would get me to move back. I feel two decades in NYC is
sufficient...I will try Island Life for two and they let you know! ;-))
                    CHEERS!
                        BOB