Re: Desktop Negative and Photopolymer plates

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 04/11/02-11:06:35 PM Z

Chris,

In graduate school I made "film" positives on transparency film through a 600 dpi
laser printer and made very nice photopolymer plates and subsequent prints. If you
have access to a 1200 dpi laser the results (I'd imagine) would be pretty swell.
Text, especially nice crisp Postscript fonts at 1200 dpi, would be very easy with
a laser printer. I think the nature of stochastic screens and inkjet "dots" would
be inferior for text. I've also used imagesetter positives and they are overkill,
even for images.

I've used letterpress and etching presses with these plates with satisfactory
results.

-Darryl