Re: Desktop Negative and Photopolymer plates

From: Chris Nielsen (crowduck@pacbell.net)
Date: 04/11/02-07:39:46 PM Z

> Chris,
>
> I have a friend here in Santa Fe who is doing precisely that. He starts
> with a Nikon 990 (?) digital camera and winds up with 12x16" prints. They are
> amazing. His work is more graphic than photographic, but he has the process
> nailed. He just finished a week-long workshop here with Dan B.
> He's not on the list but I'll have him E-Mail you if he is interested.
> You mention letterpress printing. I don't know what kind of press you are
> referring to, but you will need all the pressure that an etching press can
> deliver, to get fine results.
>
> Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the feedback!! I just got Dan B's book, and while it is filled
with lots of info, it doesn't address my application. I'd like very much to
hear from your friend. What I want to do is more graphic too. Actually, what
I want to do initially is to make photopolymer plates that will have just
type. I use Quark to typeset pages of postscript text for printing on a
letterpress. I've been taking my files to a graphics place with an
Imagesetter to get my negatives made, and then taking the neg's to a
platemaker for the photopolymer plates. I want to eliminate the 'middlemen'
and control the process myself. Letterpress's are the very old type of
printing press. They used hand set metal type, and they actually press the
inked metal type into the paper. They are used mostly for fine press books.
And nowadays the metal type has been replaced by photopolymer plates which
are exposed by UV light. Hence my interest. I will probably want to make
plates with graphic images too, but they will probably not be greyscale or
halftone, but rather black and white duotone. The colors will come from the
ink's on the polymer plates.
Regards,
Chris Nielsen
Soquel, CA