Re: Factories

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/15/02-11:30:56 PM Z

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Halvor wrote:

> It does add a new dimension to the "originality of art" (in the age of
> mechanical reproduction),though. "Clearing Winter Storm, Yosemite Valley,"
> signed by you and with the current date, would be a piece of modern art in
> itself.

Actually, we had that already. Sherry Levine copied famous
photographs/photographers and sold the prints (for high prices) through
major galleries as "After so and so." Was very famous not more (as I
recall) than 10 years ago.

But when I began photography, circa 1980, I found mention in Popular
Photography of a book titled "Vermont Scenics," the 100 best views to
photograph in Vermont. I sent for it ($7), and sure enough it had
everything, including maps telling where to put your tripod, and advice
about bring a shovel in the back of the car in case the autumn leaves, or
the snow, or whatever got thin on the road.

I was trying to talk a friend into doing it with me as a lark, when I
realized I didn't want to photograph Vermont, I wanted to photograph NYC,
and began my own book on the topic.... still in progress after all these
years.

Judy