In defense of trees.

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/16/02-06:56:51 AM Z

Boy is this ever off the subject but since its already started I can't
resist.
Obviously, if you live in the city, its not right to annoy your neighbors
(who live just a few feet away) by planting giant trees that overhang your
property and shed leaves etc on theirs.
  We moved out of the city years ago because we prefer the country and space
between us and them. Now W. Va. is mostly country with a few cities
scattered around, if fact, they are more like town than cities.
  Anyway, we moved to a very small country village where the lots are all
one acre. Over the years we bought three more lots around us and planted
lots of trees of all kinds. If fact, across the road from our home is a 1
1/2 acre woods that we own.
  Trees are beautiful in the spring. Delicate greens of the weeping willow.
Wonderful blossems of the redbud, cherry, apple, plum. Even the evergrees
develop little light green tips. In the fall the oaks and maples give us
beautiful reds and oranges and yellows. Even the stark limbs of the trees in
the winter have beauty when outlined against the sky or covered with snow or
ice.
  Trees are a barrier between us and the neighbors. They absorb sound.
They filter dust. They are a home for birds and squirrels and chipmunks
which are fun for us to watch and entertainment for our cats. Where there
are trees there is less grass tom mow. Trees are for children to climb in
which they can build tree houses and from which one can hang swings.
   Trees provide shade.
   Trees take in carbon dioxide and give off oxygen while we do the reverse.
We have a symbiotic relationship with them.
   Trees store up sunlight (energy) and can be made into firewood so that we
can have a cheerful fire in the fireplace in the dark days of winter, roast
chesnuts (a product of trees) and potatos, and toast our fingers and toes.
   Even when dead, the fallen trees become homes for all kinds of insects
and places where fungi can grow. Woodpeckers delight in them.
   Sometimes,late at night I can hear an owl calling in my woods and in the
early spring the morning is filled with birdsong.
   Nevermind that trees shed leaves and petals. We live in the country so we
never rake them up. On our land we have planeted pine trees in little
circular clusters. These have now grown so that they have become little
private places where the ground is thick with pine needles and the air
redolant with the scent of pine. The trees filter out the noise
so that it is also quiet there.
   I can show you giant trees that were planted by my very young children
when they were both seedlings and each time I see them I am reminded of when
I told them that someday the trees would be many times bigger than they.
   I love my trees and hug them every chance I get.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

also look at: