Re: Reduced Platinum Print Sharpness

From: Clay Harmon (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 04/20/02-09:02:17 AM Z

Plate burner versus light bank? Did the plate burner have a vacuum frame by
chance? If so, I would be willing to bet that is the culprit. I use both,
and with the light bank, I have to make VERY sure that the contact print
frame completely flattens the negative to the paper. Cheap frames are
nothing but trouble.

One guy I know actually flattens his paper in a dry-mount press set to a low
heat setting before printing to make sure that the contact between negative
and paper is perfect. This apparently works for him, but I suspect that the
heat would have to change some of the printing characteristics of the paper.

In theory the light banks is more diffuse light and that could also be a
culprit - but I'm betting on the negative/paper contact.

Clay