Re: Reduced Platinum Print Sharpness

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/20/02-12:12:27 PM Z

As others have suggested the most likely culprit is poor contact
between the film and paper. Poor contact can reduce sharpness even
with the semi-collimated light sources such as those in plateburners
but the problem is much worse with fluorescent banks where some of
the exposing light that reaches the film arrives at angles from 45 to
85 degrees.

If you are making large prints with a fluorescent bank a vacuum frame
will almost certainly improve sharpness. Even the very best contact
printing frames can give poor contact with large prints if not
adjusted correctly. In my own work I have found that a layer of
plastic packing material, of the kind with integral small bubbles,
placed between the print and the back of the frame, in combination
with a lot of pressure, will provide sufficient contact in most cases.

Sandy King