Re: To preserve a daguerreotype. Questions

From: roger kockaerts (permadocument@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/21/02-02:34:39 AM Z

 Hello there,
If you can find it, use a 2mm glass of excellent quality. A good seal for daguerreotype packages is Filmoplast P-90 (12.50 EUR at Permadocument in Belgium) which consists of a good quality paper base with an autoadhesive layer which is entirely reversible. After the seal is made you can make it water and air resistant by applying a thin coat of micro-cristalline wax.
Greetings from Brussels,
Roger

  Manuel_Estébanez <MEC00001@teleline.es> a écrit : Thanks Bob. What thickness of passe-partout do you use?. Do you place a sheet of glass on both sides of the package?. A sandwich?. If yes, do you use UV-protective glass?. For a good reflect of daguerreotype image, what thickness of glass do you use?.What material do you use to make a good seal?. Do you have uncased yours daguerreotypes?. Thanks once again Manuel Estebane zSpain
----- Original Message ----- From: Robert W. Schramm To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2002 8:18 PMSubject: Re: To preserve a daguerreotype. Questions

Manuel,

I have never seen brass mats. However, I can think of no reason why you could not make a mat out of 2 ply non-bu ffered, acid free, 100% rag mat board.

I mount my own contemporary dags is passe-partout mounts made of this material.

Of course, making sure you have a good seal is all important

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at: http://www.SchrammStudio.com also look at: http://www.wlsc.wvnet.edu/www/p ubrel/photo.html >From: Manuel Estébanez >Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca >To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca >Subject: To preserve a daguerreotype. Questions >Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:24:01 +0200 > >Where to find, on-line, brass mat to preserver Daguerreotype images? . >To buy tr aditional reproduction cases are very expensive. Any alternative presentation techniques?. Any homemade framing and mounting recomendations?. Thanks. > >Best Regards, >Manuel Estebanez >Spain > >PD: I' am actually going to learn the process as well (Becquerel process).