Re: The 29 or possibly 30 forms of Art.

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 04/22/02-10:27:56 AM Z

Halvor,
     When pursuing my first degree from the University of Minnesota as an
art major, we had a whole quarter class called "What is Art?" which was in
seminar format, several hundred students, where we argued this question--the
ENTIRE quarter. Then we wrote a huge paper on it at the end. I would love
to know where that paper is and see if I agree with my opinions from back
then. I doubt it. Here at Montana State University they have a somewhat
similar course entitled Aesthetics which seeks to do the same. The problem
with the question is that there are always exceptions to every statement you
make.
     When I teach Beginning Photography at MSU I ask them to write a paper
on What is Art and in there discuss how photography relates. I don't make
them research, I just ask for their opinions. This semester I got some
wonderful tidbits. A Japanese student said it was "ancestors' souls left on
canvas". I like that. One said it "was a form of representation". I'm
trying to think if I can argue that one and I don't think so--we do
re-present. A "form of communication"--I agree here, too. "Art takes us to
another place". A "journey into the artist's mind". And so forth. And
then I wrote on the board the different opinions and we argued each
one--e.g.art is nature at its best (not always), art is beauty (not always),
photography is a form of art where we cannot deny the truth (not anymore),
etc. Art is personal (hmm, still working on this one). One of my fave
students says, "Art is what I say it is". I like that, too.
     My 2 cents on this monday morning, where it better get warm here in MT
or I'm moving :)
Chris