Re: The 29 or possibly 30 forms of Art.

From: Halvor (halvorb@mac.com)
Date: 04/22/02-08:31:13 PM Z

Hi Christina & All

My idea was to provide a starting point. Think one of the old greeks wrote
something like "give me a point to stand on and I will lift the world". Yes
there is always exceptions and different opinions, but what do all works of
art have in common ? For me at least, at the moment (at least), this little
dialectical process has so far worked. The "exceptions to any statement"
phenomena tend to show up further "down" the line of definitions. (bit vauge
there sorry it's still morning)

Regarding Functionality and art.

> My morning juice glass is about 6 inches tall, clear with colors for eyes,
> eyebrows, mouth and nose. It is hand blown and signed. But it is also my
> morning juice glass and others are not.

This is a simple case of dialectics :) The glass giving of an appearence of
what it is not. This producing an unexpected understanding from a glass,
wether everybody will apreciate this is another question.

An interesting twist on the functionality question is Press Photography.
Pictures made to serve an informing function. I have hovewer seen some
pictures that clearly show signs of art.

Often in functional art, the art "part" becomes more important than the
function, maybe particularily in ceramics. However some cars are often
refered to as works of art, the whole machine made to serve a purpose, and
exspress this idea.

In the end I agree with what Judy wrote the real question is what is good
art. The process of creativity can be found almost anywhere.

I need more coffe
Halvor

Just for the record, this was plain vanilla dialectics no materialism
involved. Else thanks for response Sharon.