problem with double coating for cyanotypes

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 04/24/02-08:27:13 AM Z

I have been having a problem when I try to put two coats of cyanotype
solution on certain paper: it buckles really badly after the first
coat while it's drying, so that it's hard to get the second coat on
evenly. This only happens with Crane's Platinotype, which is a sort
of thin paper. But I like it because it is very smooth and thus good
for portraits. The Arches Platine doesn't buckle so much, but it
makes faces look a bit mottled.

The way I dry between coats is, I put the coated paper, which is
taped to a stiff board, under the vents over my sink. They dry
pretty fast that way. I wonder if it would be better to let them dry
without air moving over them so fast?

--shannon