Re: environmental question

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 04/24/02-12:37:05 PM Z

>Thanks, but I was referirng more to printmaking, like POP or Kallitype, or
>Pt/Pd. Unforunately, I can't seem to like blue prints no matter how much I
>try, so I guess Cyanotype is out of the running. I used to work at a lab,
>and the only thing they did to their chemistry was run it through a silver
>recovery unit, all else went straight down the drain, AFAIK. I am,
>however, quite partial to wheelthrowing.....

YOu could tone the cyanotypes. The tannic acid toner could be
disposed of in a hole in the ground I think without too much worry.

POP is probably pretty benign. YOu would just have to dispose of the
fixer, which you have to do anyway if you develop your own negatives.
Some silver comes off in the first wash too. Is silver harmful to
soil microorganisms? That is, if you had a special hole for pouring
the developing water for POP, would that be bad?

--shannon