RE: environmental question

From: Keith Gerling (keithgerling@att.net)
Date: 04/24/02-03:31:35 PM Z

Christine,

Well, I'm no expert. From what I've heard, the Kodak b&w chemistry is
pretty benign, as you've been told. But I think saying that ALL their
chemistry is "biodegradable: is a bit of a stretch. Selenium toner?
Chromium intensifier? Tray cleaner? I don't think so (and, honestly, I
don't know if they even still sell this stuff). In any event, it's the
silver residue that is the problem, and photo labs usually recover silver (I
think).

I don't have much information regarding the neutralization of waste, except
to point you again in the direction of
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Technical_papers/gum_dichromate_green.htm
for info regarding dichromates, and to
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/green/Green.html to read the good news about
Platinum/Palladium.

Others may know more, but I don't think sodium sulfate is a threat. I know
nothing about ammonium thiocyanate. And I doubt if you're dumping very much
gold chloride!

I didn't mean to alarm you. Good luck, and thank you for being sensitive to
the environment.

Keith