fuming box questions

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/24/02-02:23:34 PM Z

Hi all I was wondering if any of you out there have instructions/images on
how to make a fuming box for iodine fuming of a silver plate for
daguerreotypes.

I know there are resources to buy one and I know some of you will say that I
should go to a workshop, etc. Problem is I want to learn to make my own and
I can't make any of the workshops this year. I have checked www.newdags.com
and www.daguerre.org, but neither of these sources have info on making
fuming boxes and the process of fuming. They talk about what a good
sensitized plate looks like but not how to fume specifically.

I want to make one to fume 4x5 plates and 8x10 plates. Of course I will be
starting with 4X5 while I experiment and learn the process. Also I should
point out that I'm doing the becquerel method so I only need one box to use
with Iodine.

I know that polishing and other things are important to the process but I
just want to keep this discussion to fuming boxes and technique of making a
box and how to do the fuming process effectively and safely. Thank you.

-Chris