Re: Sicko humor as art?

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 08/12/02-09:36:16 PM Z

Leslie:
  This sort of work is linked with the past. I did not look completely
through this site but though I'm not enamored of the work, it is not about
sex or torture etc.
  What do you think of Joel Peter Witkin's work? Or, what about Jeff Koons?
You may be on to something about how these elements are 'rampant in our
community' but you are hopefully referring to the world community. What with
AIDS, war, religious hate mongering, arguments over property/territory
rights and things of that ilk . . the world is in trouble.
  In some sense it seems you are barking up the wrong tree by attempting to
place an opinion one step away from censorship upon certain works. It is not
that I'm a prissy person nor a Republican but what you are upset about is
one of the world's problems and that is humanity itself. We're beyond
Malthus . . . there are simply too many of us and we need to stop
procreating at the same prolific rate. Art merely reflects the social
conditions of the world.
Jack Fulton