Re: off topic: Galen Rowell

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 08/12/02-11:57:44 PM Z

                        Copyright 2002 Associated Press

                            Associated Press Online

                  August 12, 2002 Monday 9:54 PM Eastern Time

SECTION: DOMESTIC NEWS

LENGTH: 297 words

HEADLINE: Photographers Killed in Plane Crash

DATELINE: BISHOP, Calif.

BODY:

 Nature photographers Galen and Barbara Rowell, whose works were published in
 National Geographic, Outside and many books, were killed in a plane crash in the
 eastern Sierra Nevada.

 The twin-prop Aero Commander went down early Sunday morning about two miles
 south of Bishop Airport, said Inyo County sheriff's Deputy Paul Baldwin.

 The pilot, Tom Reid, 46, and another passenger, Carol McAfee, both of Bishop,
 also died in the crash, according to the Inyo County coroner's office.

 Investigators from the Federal Aviation Administration and the National
 Transportation Safety Board were at the scene Monday, but no details on the
 cause of the crash were released.

 The Rowells had been returning from a photo workshop in the Arctic, said
 Kevin Calder, an employee at the couple's gallery, Mountain Light Photography.
 They moved their gallery and home to Bishop - about 230 miles north of Los
 Angeles - about 18 months ago after years in the San Francisco Bay area, he
 said.

 Galen Rowell, 61, was the author of 18 books of photography and his pictures
 appeared in such magazines as Audubon, Outdoor Photographer and Sports
 Illustrated.

 "It's one thing to take a pretty picture, but he was able to bring back
 pictures that gave you a feel for the land, a feel for the expedition," said
 Kent Kobersteen, director of photography for National Geographic. "They
 communicated emotionally and verbally."

 Barbara Rowell, 54, was a photographer, pilot and former director of public
 relations for The North Face Inc., the outdoor clothing company. She was also
 president of their gallery.

 The couple had returned to California on a commercial flight to Oakland, then
 boarded the charter flight to Bishop, about 210 miles to the east.

 http://www.mountainlight.com