Re: Polymer Photogravure Help

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 08/13/02-12:17:19 AM Z

Hi:

Found a reference to a website in the" Printmaking in the sun" book

http://www.solaplate.com

To get a photogravure like effect they recomend a double-exposure
technique, where the plate is first exposed to a stochastic screen - this
likely has the same effect as the traditional ashpultum technique

The positive is then exposed on the plate.

Details here:

http://www.solarplate.com/double%20exposure%20gide.htm

They sell stochastic screens for $100.00. Anyone know of a way of making
them?

I would love to do printmaking again (took workshop _years_ ago) but I
don't have room for and don't think I can afford my own etching press.

Has anyone had success doing photo based printmaking as relief prints?
>From what I have read you can have some success making relief prints
without a press - or with a simple press.

Can you get something with reasonably good tones and contrast? This isn't
addressed in "Printmaking in the Sun

Gord

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Robert Newcomb wrote:

> Hello people,
> New to the list, or actually sort of renew. I've been away for a few
> years. I'm finally getting back into the alternative darkroom again.
> My older but nice etching press keeps looking at me and saying when are
> you going to make those photogravures you've always wanted to do?
> If anyone has information on supplies such as polymer printing plates,
> aquatint screens and any "how to" information on this technique I'd
> appreciate hearing from you.
> Their is a web site by "StrangeRoss", that's the name not a comment,
> that explains alot about this process, since I live in the US, supplies
> in this country would be helpful, but I will very much appreciate any
> help.
> Thanks,
> Robert newcomb
> Comer, Georgia

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2