Re: a good lens dealer?

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/16/02-08:41:47 AM Z

Richard wrote:

> What kind of shutter is this that's running slow? Some of them are not
> too hard to tune up. Old Compurs (even dial set ones) and Compound shutters
> can almost always be made to run on speed, except perhaps for the highest
> speed.

I never use the really high speeds anyway. I can't find anything on it that
tells what the make of the shutter is. In fact, I can't even get it off the
lens board entirely!

 Ilex shutters, except for the very early dial set ones can usually
> be brought up to new shutter specs. They use wire springs which are easy to
> make. Of course, their specs were not wonderful when new, but they can be
> brought back to those. Check with Steve Grimes about repairing old shutters
> and remounting lenses in new shutters. The latter can be expensive since
> the shutters themselves are expensive these days. Steve actually has a
> fairly high opinion of old Ilex shutters, again except for the first ones,
> which he consideres unrepairable.

OK, thanks for his web address. This lens doesn't look especially old,
although it may be.

--shannon