Re: a good lens dealer?

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/16/02-03:21:42 AM Z

Shannon,

Agreeing with others, be careful not to throw the baby out with the
bathwater. If the lens is good, or was a good buy, the shutter may be
worth fixing rather than buying something else. Or, if the speeds are
consistent (if 1/2 sec is consistently half a stop slow, for example)
just make up a little chart of actual speeds and use it. Old lenses can
have wonderful imaging qualities and can be bargains, but old shutters
are always cranky. You pick the compromises you prefer.

One of my favorite lenses for my banquet cameras is a 16.5" dagor in an
Ilex shutter so beat that even Steve Grimes wasn't able to keep it
working except at B and T. That really doesn't matter, since I've found
that with practice I can just use a cable release on B to time 1/4, 1/2,
and full second exposures at least as well as an Ilex shutter ever did
on its own. With a banquet camera, speeds shorter than 1/4 just aren't
needed, so I'll save my money and not bother to get this wonderful piece
of glass remounted in a modern shutter.

---Carl

--
Web Site with picture galleries and workshop information
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/index.html