Re: Permanence of Kallitype Prints

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/16/02-01:44:06 PM Z

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Sandy King wrote:

> Permanence of Kallitype Prints
> Any comments or suggestions regarding this test would be appreciated.

Sandy, it sounds fabulous, and results will be a serious compensation to
us all for having lost another year of our lives by the time we get them.

Here are some further thoughts, however. Have you got that blue paper, or
whatever they call it, to put in with? When calculating change or no
change would be good to have a benchmark. I have a pack of it but it's
old... think I got it from.... Light Impressions? Or other conservation
source.

I also wonder what paper the tests are on. Would results be different on
other, equally revered paper?

Finally, are you in touch with a photo conservator? What are considered
to be the factors that deteriorate photos? While survival of the Ride In
Sandy's Car would/should be reassurance enough for any of us, I figure
that carbon monoxide and light aren't the only factors: Humidity is not
good either, right?

Why the choice of the car? Because it's heat and light? What about your
oven --? I have a vague memory of low oven for X time being used, I'm
sure for much less than a year, so we wouldn't have to stay on tenter
hooks so long...:-)

PS. By coincidence I had out some old tests of kallitype and palladium
toned kallitype with different developers and on different papers over the
weekend for a friend who plans to begin. The tones and colors really are
gorgeous.

Judy