Re: a good lens dealer?

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/16/02-05:04:19 PM Z

CArl wrote:

> No need to keep adjusting film speed--just look at the meter and find the
> f/stop for the *actual* speed instead of the marked one.

Aha! It took me a while to figure out what you meant here, but now I see.
What a good solution! Kind of obvious too, but sometimes I miss the
obvious.

How do you know what the actual speed is, though? I can kind of tell with
the 1 second setting that it's actually 2 seconds, and that the 1/2 second
is somewhere in between 1/2 second and a full second, but I have no idea
what 1/4 is really.
I guess this is where the tool that Richard mentioned from Calumet comes in
handy.

> You can practice opening and closing the shutter with a cable release, at
> the B setting, while releasing the shutter on your good lens with your other
> hand, for comparison. You'll quickly get a feel for 1/2, 1/4, and full,
> which is all you really need. On an old Ilex #5 shutter if you "work the
> action" on the shutter as quickly/smoothly as possible, it gives a quite
> reliable 1/4 second. A copal #3 would probably give 1/8th doing the same
> thing. Just compare to a shutter that's working properly.---Carl

OK, I'll try that today. It would be good to internalize those speeds.
Right now I'm not even sure of my ability to count off whole seconds
accurately. (Christopher James recommends saying, "One Ansel Adams, Two
Ansel Adams...")

--shannon