Re: a good lens dealer?

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 08/16/02-03:55:24 PM Z

At 07:32 AM 08/16/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Steve wrote:
>
>> Before you send the lens and shutter back, consider the quality of the lens
>> and what you paid for it. If it can be replaced, or is it a 'vintage lens'
>> now out of production?
>
>It is a Rodenstock lens, and it says Sironar-N on it. I paid $689 for it.
>This was one of the less expensive 240mm lenses I could find. Do you think
>it's worth keeping and fixing rather than returning it? I like the
>negatives I've made, in terms of sharpness, contrast, etc.
>

>> It's not the shutter that captures the light, Ms Stoney, but the lens. So,
>> before you turn in your appratus, consider the glass.
>
>I have a lot of old cameras that shoot TriX at anywhere from 400 to 1600, so
>I'm sort of used to slow shutters, but since I just bought this lens and it
>was sorta expensive, I thought it should be accurate! My lens for my 4x5
>camera is perfect in that way.
>
>So what do you think? Would you fix it or return it?
>
>I can have it fixed in Houston when I get there in a week. There's a pretty
>good repairman there.
>
>--shannon

  The Sironar-N is a current production model. Its the less expensive
version, the Sironar-S being the better one. The S has somewhat larger
coverage than the N, and is reported to be sharper, although the difference
is small.
  Bob Salomon, the Rodenstock distributor can date the lens from its serial
number.
  The shutter is probably a Copal, that's what Rodenstock (and everyone
else) has been using for several years. If its A Copal its dirty, they are
quite accurate and consistent shutters.
  I don't really know lens prices. I have some idea what they go for at
local camera sales but that may not be typical of overall sales.
  Frankly, I think you should look around for another lens, I suspect this
is not such a good deal. Steve Grimes (http://www.skgrimes.com) has some
Copal info and also an Ilex page on his web site.
  I show bobsalomon@mindspring.com for Bob Salomon but think this is an
old address.

----
Richard Knoppow