Re: Quickee Cyanotype Question/results

From: Eric Nelson (emanmb@yahoo.com)
Date: 08/17/02-11:03:17 AM Z

For those using this process, here are my results.

I had to make 8 11x14 and 2 16x20 images in cyanotype
for some fancy Beverly Hills store including the negs
in 10 days. On top of a that I had to make a large
number of 16x20 silver prints for an exhibition during
that time so it's been a crazy month.

The formula using ammonium dichromate and oxalic acid
as listed on the B&S site worked the best. I started
using Platine but was getting irregular
results/coatings and inconsistent speeds using puddle
pushers. I stayed up till 2 am one night trying to
perfect 2 images on Platine and only met frustration.
The client had decided that Platine gave the look she
wanted and the color of blue that the client wanted me
to match so I was stuck.
Called the client the next day to say the paper was
unworkable and that Cranes Platinotype was the better
choice. Client came by to see the results and was
VERY happy with results on Platine that most of us
would probably find not acceptable.

Shows to go ya...She felt the Platine gave an older
feel to the image which was the desired effect (thanks
for telling me) and that the Cranes Platinotype paper
gave too clean an image.
So with the present stock of Platine here in Chicago,
I found the results kinda yucky (muddy, uneven) and
the present stock of Cranes Platinotype Bright White
from B&S to give even, clean results. The formula
using ammonium dichromate and oxalic acid gave a
deeper blue and better contrast than without.

Before starting this project I never thought I'd have
so much difficulty with such a simple process!

Eric Nelson