Re: Weston, and why not print silver gelatin?

From: Bob and Carla (bb333@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/17/02-10:12:08 PM Z

Brava Shannon!
       What a perceptive, objectively considered and eloquently
written letter! Good questions and thoughts. Weston, was if anything,
a purist. He loved photography as a tool for personal expession, but
he was also an artist and a craftsman. He loved printmaking as part of
the photographic statement. I think that this kind of printmaker
tends to make prints that are elevating, whether they use silver,
ferrics, albumen, or whatever. EW used pre-coated platinum paper,
similar to Suras at North American Platinotype, but it was the
discontinuation of that factory-ready paper that helped move him to
the silver-gelatin, factory-made papers. But also, as a photographer
and a printmaker, he was also in the middle of a move from the
Photo-secessionist/pictorialist approach toward the so-called, f/64 charter.

     I don't think there is a question of should I use either/or.....
For my own preferences hand-coated, ferric-salts emulsions and
silver-gelation printmaking are both important to me, if I can make a
print of the photograph in question, elevating. There is another
museum-grade issue with the archival difference between PT/PD and
silver-gelatin...the noble metals do have the upper-hand in material
nobility. I have explored less than many that attend this list, but I
may experience other processes too as I gain proficiency in what I am
working with now, but for myself, it has to grow with my vision.

        There has been a distinct prejudice for decades now, between
the East coast/West coast schools, with much of accademia embracing
the eastern version because of the Street School vs. Idyllic Nature
school, which for my money translates more into, "experimantation vs.
mastery" orientaion. Everyone, please excuse me if I over-simplify or
misrepresent anything... Shannon, your letter was just very
interesting, amd I wanted to put my two cents worth in.

       I wouldn't say, "post-post-modernism".......it's still just
modernism. I like EW's own statement as a pure reference to modernism,
"if I want to photograph a rock, I want the photograph to faithfully
represent the rock.....but I want it [the photograph] to be more than
a rock", which shows a subliminal and subjective references which I
think could be classified as both Modern and Postmodern. But if you
use one of the distinctions of Postmodernism that I cite, "the process
is part of the statement", that the essence of the photographic
process is evident in the style, whether it is an optical distinction,
film borders, a reflection/shadow of the photographer, or in the words
of a group f/64 member, "the transcendence of the simple statement of
the lens...." I would include members of this group in the earliest
efforts also of postmodernism, which puts them at a leading edge in America.

    I think that he rolled liberally in the material essences of the
world that he lived in...but yearned for the spiritual essences, or
"what ELSE things were"....where what he was viewing on the
ground-glass made him feel JS Bach...and what a great tool
photography is for that!

Shannon, I'm glad that you saw the show and gained so much from it!
Robert