Re: Permanence of Kallitype Prints

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 08/17/02-11:14:26 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>You
>outline a much needed long awaited really important test... If the blue
>wool is still available (I haven't heard it mentioned lately) would add a
>lot & not be a lot more trouble.

Let me ask you to go ahead and send me a few sheets of the Blue Woo
in case I can not find it in the contemporary period.

>> I have not consulted with any photo conservators but have read
>> Wilhem's work and consider myself fairly conversant on the issues.
>
>So I'm sticking my neck out again guessing, but isn't Wilhelm doing photo
>color, that is, factory paper in plastic using dyes? I would expect the
>issues, chemistry, etc., to be quite different.

He does all sort of accelerated testing for clients, including ink
jet materials and various forms of color printing. Actually I am very
dubious about the value of accelerated testing. In the end all that
accelerated testing tell you for sure is what happened to the
material during the accelerated testing. To extrapolate further
information imposes risks that increase significantly with time.

>> There are clearly some concerns that this test will not address but I
>> think it will address the most important ones that I see as specific
>> to kallitype, i.e., the impact of residual iron on light stability,
>> and the degree to which toning provides greater archival qualities to
>> a kallitype.
>
>You won't know the "degree" for sure or be able to quantify it without a
>benchmark, or so I would suppose.

First, in several instances I made two prints, one for the car and
another which I will keep frozen in the freezer. Second, won't the
original density readings, which I have made for all 21 steps of
every test, serve as a benchmark? I have also noted the current paper
base figure for all of the tests.

>Now a wild "what if" -- what if that car window glass has a UV barrier
>built in that house window glass and regular framing glass don't -- oo la
>la!

I had not thought of that. That is for sure something to check on.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Sandy