plus Frizot Re: Permanence of Kallitype Prints

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/18/02-12:07:51 AM Z

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Sandy King wrote:

> Let me ask you to go ahead and send me a few sheets of the Blue Woo
> in case I can not find it in the contemporary period.

Sandy, I expect to go to the PO Monday & I'll mail you the box... there's
a bunch of reading material with it that might possibly be of some use...
and since I'm so much older than you, and TRYING to work my way through 10
pounds of Frizot, I figure you have more time left for this sort of thing
than I do... Plus I'll be gaining 2 inches on the shelf. However, I
implore you, if it turns out to be totally irrelevant, I hope you won't
tell everybody.

As for Frizot -- this is "The New History of Photography." I'd love to
hear reactions of anyone around who's read it. So far I've read the first
few chapters and the last, which are wonderful and quite different from
what we're accustomed to. I haven't yet managed to get much further, but
have still enjoyed a wonderfully intimate relation with the work. My ideal
is to read in bed but I fear dropping the tome in lifting it off the table
in a condition of sleepiness, so it just stays more or less permanently in
situ, not really a problem since I'm a short person. (The scale in my
supermarket said 9 pounds, but it feels like 90.)

I'd hoped to review it for next PF, don't think I'll get that far, but I'm
seeing some of the shibboleths of modern photo crit undermined. Hooray.
And that last chapter about the amateurs...Double hooray.

Any comments from French folks about how the work was received in France?
This one's in English, I hasten to add.

J.