Re: Weston, and why not print silver gelatin?

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 08/17/02-11:39:22 PM Z

Shannon,

   I don't think most alt process printers dislike silver/gel. The reason
for using other processes has to do with getting a different look i.e.
different from gel/silver. Also by coating your own paper one has a choice
of multiple sensitizer formulas and different papers.
    I think you question on the different color of platinum prints has to do
with the spicific fomula used and, more important, the developer.
Some platinum prints are also toned.
    Every school of fine art photography, like the f 64 group, has been a
break with what has gone on before. Of course there exists snobbery in art
so there will always be those who critisize one method over the other.
Personally, I pay little or no attention to those who would tell be what it
correct and what is not. Art is all about the freedom to do whatever you
wish in order to create the image you desire. The more choices, the better.
     BTW, my understanding of Weston and the other silver/gel f 64
people is they did a lot of planning and even created maps for dodging and
burning. I had an interesting conversation with a woman who like I had won
an award for photography at a regional art show. She was in to large 16 x 20
gel/silver prints which were beautiful. She was asking me questions about my
work (alt process) and I was asking her about her techniques. She did a lot
of dodging, burning and local development control. Each print was a project.
She told me she made 22 prints before she got one she liked. The other 21
went in the wastebasket. I don't know about you, but I've also thrown away a
lot of prints. Those who are not informed, think we photographers turn out
prints like cookies from a cookie cutter. Well, maybe some do, but Weston
didn't.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com