Re: Weston, and why not print silver gelatin?

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/18/02-09:31:14 AM Z

Judy wrote:

> Seagull turds and peppers have BEEN DONE.... !

Were there turds?

> I don't even mention Weston's photographs of women -- most of whom appear
> with their legs spread, face-down naked in the sand, screamingly
> post- or pre-coital, or Tina Modotti-ish weeping. Thanks a bunch.

Oh. The ones I liked were the ones where it was illustrated that it was ok
not to shave your legs.

> Still and however, I don't know why Shannon feels "guilty" of all things
> for liking the senusal pleasure she finds in the work, as she describes
> with some feeling.

Oh, don't worry, I don't! But a lot of people have tried to make me feel
that way. If I made a photo because I saw something beautiful and said that
I wanted to show other people how beautiful it was and thereby make them
feel good, I was told that I wasn't being "critical" enough, whatever that
means. But I don't care: I still get off on it. This morning I lay in bed
a long time watching the moving shadows on the wall that leaves were making
because of sunlight coming through them. (That's really a video subject.)

I like really sensual, really beautiful photographs, and I'm not yet able to
make them as beautiful as I want them to be, but that quest is discouraged
in the photographic community I have been hanging out in. However, I'm about
to change photographic communities, so maybe that will get better.

.> Surely looking for ratification of one's own aesthetic in
> consensus is self-defeating. In fact aside from noting that you both
> misinterpret "post-modernism" beyond redemption, I add that the
> post-modern attitude would be very helpful here... PM says, if you go
> against the grain, FLAUNT IT !

When PM is the consensus, the only way to go against the grain, and flaunt
it, is to say how silly it is. Or maybe it's better just to ignore it.

--shannon