setup analog / digital printing

stefan@2s-image.de
Date: 08/18/02-01:42:57 PM Z

Hi Folks

after doing a lot of alternative work in the 90's including many
conversations on this list and a long break with straight commercial
work, I now start again alternative photography.

Platinium and Carbon are still my favorites but as I have only a view
hours a day to do alternative work, I wish to do additionaly some digital
processing.

As I shoot 24x36 cm, 6x7cm and 4x5inch all only in b&w, I decided to
buy the following hardware:

1. Canon FS4000US film scanner to digitalise 24x36 b&w negs

=> is this a good choice? e.g. Nikon Coolscan should be much better
     with color slides but should loose the race with silver neg material
     due to its light source which enhauces contrast drastically

2. Epson Perfection 2450 scanner to scan 120 / 6x6 b&w negs and
    Polaroid T55 4x5 inch material

=> Canon Canoscan D-2400 UF should be a good alternative in this
     low budget range, including a nice feature to reduce dust but
     being said to have a much lower contrast range compared to the
     Epson. Or is it still necesarry to invest much more into equipment
     for perfect prints of large sizes (16x20 inch or larger) like Nikon
     Coolscan LS 8000 ED, Minolta Dimage Scan Pro or one of the
     Linotype scanners of the 2 - 3 k$ range?

3. Epson Stylus 3000 printer to print 16x20 inch in b/w or monochromatic
   color space with Lyson archival / photographic inks

=> is there a better choice in the moment or some upcomming new models
     which work with Lyson archival inks?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance &
kindest Regards
Steve