Re: article on Gustave Le Gray shows, and other shows

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/18/02-05:18:06 PM Z

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> I don't know about a "Jewish sensibility," although it seems as possible as a
> French sensibility or a German one. But I do know that there have been more
> than a few truely great Jewish photographers..... Still, I don't think Le
> Gray was among them. Arthur

Don't be so sure.... According to a book by George Gilbert, "Worldwide
Who's Who of Jews in Photography," there are a great big bunch of them,
not just the "New York School," several whose original or earlier names
sound more Jewish than "Weegee." But the prize was Gilbert found a "Jewish
ancestor" for Sir John Herschel.. I giggled at this, but then I thought,
hmmmmm... Herschel is NOT an Anglo Saxon name...

So let's see... Le Gray, how about Legros ? Or, let me check George..

J.