Re: austere sensuality

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/18/02-05:07:23 PM Z

> > It's amazing how many incorrect myths surround Weston. That he was a

I believe "incorrect myth" is a tautology.

> > doctrinaire, concept-driven artist, that he can be defined by "the group
> > f.64" theories, that he used the Zone System, that he was "an austere
> > sensualist" (would someone please tell me what in the world Jed Pearl can
> > mean by that?) Who cares whether an artist is labeled modernist, or

I haven't heard those other myths, but I think it's important to
understanding where WE are and how we got here to know what is considered
"modernism" in photography, why and when. What's fascinated me,
incidentally, is that "modernism" in art made "fold spindle and mutilate,
that is handwork, almost obligatiory. Modernism in photography made it
absolutely forbidden.

Judy