Re: austere sensuality

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/18/02-08:05:09 PM Z

> I believe "incorrect myth" is a tautology.

Not really. Myths are like apocryphal stories. There are myths about artists
that are factually inaccurate but which tell us something true, which help
to understand the person or the work. They're so good they ought to be true.
Then there are myths that are not only factually inaccurate but which lead
to a drastic misunderstanding of their subject. These are red herrings. I
think there are a lot of these red herring, incorrect myths about Weston. I
grant the term is inelegant though, and will see about thinking up a
replacement.

> I haven't heard those other myths, but I think it's important to
> understanding where WE are and how we got here to know what is considered
> "modernism" in photography, why and when. What's fascinated me,
> incidentally, is that "modernism" in art made "fold spindle and mutilate,
> that is handwork, almost obligatiory. Modernism in photography made it
> absolutely forbidden.
>
> Judy

Hmm, the International Style in architecture is a major bulwark of
modernism, and it is as sleekly non-hand-made and mechanistic as the most
purist Newhall-approved photographic modernism. Post modern architecture is
largely about putting some 'fold spindle and mutilate' back into modern
building designs. Modernism's definitions are exceedingly slippery both
across and within disciplines.

---Carl