history

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/19/02-01:31:07 PM Z

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Carl Weese wrote:

> > I believe "incorrect myth" is a tautology.

> think there are a lot of these red herring, incorrect myths about Weston. I
> grant the term is inelegant though, and will see about thinking up a
> replacement.

So I checked my 1932 dictionary, which I like because it's small enough to
lift & the type large enough to read. One definition for myth is "a person
or thing whose existence is imaginary or not verifiable." Which I take for
the sense in which it was used, probably accounting for my sense of
redundancy. Theoretically I suppose there could be a correct myth, but
that would probably be better called history, tale, character sketch,
chronicle, record, yarn, anecdote, or other term from any of the 19
subtopics under "Description" in Roget's.

Meanwhile, going down the page I scan section .5 ..."History -- a set of
lies agreed upon. [Napoleon]." Isn't this what we're talking about? How
much Westoniana is really true, a mere generation after his death?
History of photography of just the last 20 years has already gone weird...

cheers,

Judy