RE: kenro izu / alt trends

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/19/02-07:43:40 AM Z

Pamela,

Sure, the shift, and the sniff from the gallery owner, are because it really
has been done to death. A mediocre picture no longer gets away with claiming
to be special just because it's printed in platinum. So something new is
needed, and there's nothing so new as something really old, like gum. Of
course a good photographer like Izu must genuinely want a different look,
not just a catchy label.

Another take is that gum is just a whole lot more "alt": more hand work,
usually much farther removed from the direct optical image. Alt is in, so
platinum will lose its edge for some. I've always thought platinum is only
alt because you can't buy the paper in a store. Used for its strengths, it's
the straightest of the straight, directest of the direct. If that's not what
you're looking for, other print media may really serve much better.

---Carl

--
        web site with picture galleries
        and workshop information at: