Re: What Postmodernism Means, etc.,etc.,etc.

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 08/19/02-03:04:06 PM Z

Thanks for the edit Judy! I often get lost in my own thoughts... but hey, if
I could communicate with words why the heck would I even try to make art! If
I had great verbal communication skills, it would be much easier to write a
novel...instead I struggle with these $%#$ daguerreotypes!

This discussion about art always seems to go nowhere because there is
nowhere to go and this is the conundrum. All of us toil in our own personal
hells and passions for dominance over this form of communication called art.
Additionally many outside forces are putting pressure on this communication
device we use. There are social legitimacy issues like academic disciplines,
social acceptability, funding, etc. that put pressure on how we make our
work. Also, some artist are so worried about being authentic and validated,
they pressure themselves in to studying intensely the ideologies behind what
they are doing compared to what is currently hot in "the scene". Really, if
making art were just for making art, this debate would never be happening!
Instead some of us toil and toil over validation for what we do. And when
the answers don't fit our position, we fight with every tooth, nail and
paintbrush. Of course it is easy to counter this argument with saying
something like "art has no boundaries, no rules, etc.". The problem is you
have to have boundaries and an understanding of their makeup before you can
move past them. At the same time raw inspiration and total naivety of these
boundaries is also beneficial but limited to the genius and prodigies. And
this is the riddle: we all want to be that wacko up in the attic making
massive amounts of raw talented phenomenal creations and turn out hundreds
of pieces that set the world on fire. In reality, everyone on this list
knows too much to do that, so now we have to work within conceptual
parameters for legitimacy. If not, it’s just phony or refurbished
inspirations.