Re: What Postmodernism Means, etc.,etc.,etc.

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 08/19/02-03:31:48 PM Z

Study the greats, maybe, but don't emulate them. I wonder how many people
pick up a camera and think— "I'm going to be a great photographer." I think
rather than emulating other photographers or following the trends, following
your interests and ideas will lead you to do your best work. Maybe in the
end they won't be great ideas or maybe they will. Maybe you will know the
craft side well enough to present your ideas (either good or bad ideas)
well...or maybe you won't. I think you have to take some risks when the
trends and others are saying "No No" and be true to yourself. It's the only
way you can get to the point where you are creating something with your
unique vision.

OK, will everyone who ever photographed a green pepper please raise their
hand?

Mark Nelson
In a message dated 8/19/02 3:09:16 PM, jseigel@panix.com writes:

<<
This summary is perfect, says it all. Thank you.

> It is fine to do work for work sake. Just like it is OK to go out and play
> touch football with you friends on the weekend and emulate pro football
> greats. Just don't to walk in an arena and expect to be let on a NFL team
> because you play every weekend, know how to throw the ball and have seen the
> pros do it on TV.

This analogy is only fair, because pro football (I'm given to understand,
having never seen it myself) is still a current sport. It goes on every
freaking Sunday (or whenever) and if you're good enough you can still be a
star and make big bucks. Nobody seems to say, uh, pro football has been
DONE -- though of course they should. >>