Re: modernism in photography

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/20/02-06:52:41 AM Z

>> Modernism's definitions are exceedingly slippery both
>> across and within disciplines.
>
> Carl, after this you wrote about the east coast screaming for the end of
> west coast "modernism" in photography, but the structure of my e-mail
> program is such that the message got deleted. (Notice the careful
> structure of that sentence.)

Nope, you've quoted the end of my message. The earlier paragraph had been
about true/false myths. No eastcoast/westcoast comments. I think you've
picked it up from someone else's comment in the thread.

Your description of east coast "straightness" circa 1980 agrees with my
memory. The notion that the flame of crookedness was kept alive on the west
coast sounds reasonably fair as well. Several of the Stieglitz circle had
been west coast, way back then. Of course the group f.64 idea didn't
interest the original members more than, what was it, a couple of meetings
and maybe one group show?---Carl