Re: Warning: photographer in training, please reduce speed ahead.

From: Diana H. Bloomfield (dlhbloom@mindspring.com)
Date: 08/20/02-10:58:57 AM Z

I rarely write into this list, mainly because I know there are people
here with far more expertise and experience, both in teaching and in
photographic skills, than I. And there's so much to say. However, I
just want to focus on those teachers out there who "don't allow" certain
subjects to be photographed. Actually, I'm going to open myself up to
criticism and defend them, because I know I'm one of them.

I think any art class (performing, visual, creative writing), whether at
the beginning or at the advanced level, can be extremely daunting for
students. In my experience, students initially tend to bring in work
that has already been validated for them. The work has already been
"critiqued" in another workshop and validated by fellow students and/or
the instructor, or the work resonated positively in some way with
parents or friends. In fact, they don't really need to hear me or
anyone else tell them, yet again, about that particular piece of work.
I think they bring in those familiar photographs, because they know
they're "safe" with it. They continue to photograph those color beach
sunset pictures, the color pictures of roses, and the endless portraits
of their dogs or cats--and sometimes, even, the endless pictures of rock
bands--not because they don't want to do something different, not
because a particular subject matter (color beach sunset comes to mind)
is particularly meaningful to them, but they continue to do it because
it's easy and it's safe.

Frankly, I think I would be remiss as a teacher to "allow" those
students--during the semester they're taking my class--to continue to
bring in those same easy images. They want to be challenged, and I want
to challenge them. For the duration of my course, I want them to not
only experience their own potential (that I know they have) as
photographers, but to also gain a sense of the infinite possibilities of
the photographic medium itself. And I would like to think that I create
a "safe" enough environment in my classroom, that students don't feel
(after the first week, at least) that they have to continue to play it
"safe" with their image-making.

So, Shannon, when you overhear "a teacher tell a student to never
photograph a rock band" or "another teacher tell a student that flowers
and children are strictly off limits," it's just possible that those
teachers know that those particular students are taking the easy
route--not imitating so much other photographers--but repeatedly
imitating themselves. I would also venture to say that it's the lazy
teacher who "allows" them to keep doing it.

The best teachers I ever had (at Bucks County Community College, in
Newtown, Pa over twenty years ago) never let me get away with a thing.
They knew when I was being lazy, and they let me know it. One teacher
in particular said to me one day, "these are really beautiful images,
but if you bring in one more of them, I think I'll puke." I thank her
to this day.

--Diana