Re: Warning: photographer in training, please reduce speed ahead.

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/20/02-02:02:57 PM Z

Diana, thanks for saying so much better than I was going to some of the
thoughts I was having...

I think one question we could do a little more on is just what IS the role
of the teacher. For instance, every year our schools turn out more MFAs
than there were artists in all of Renaissance Italy. Maybe if they
discourage a few from going on, they're doing the art ecology a favor.
Not to mention that if the student is so easily led and discouraged, they
don't perhaps have what it takes to survive (let alone succeed) in an
artworld that is grueling, corrupt, thankless and totally narcissistic.
The only crueler profession I'd say is dancer -- there, besides the
competition, is the fact that the dancer is *old* at 30.

I myself went to the best schools, or considered so, and then to graduate
school. In all of it I only had one teacher who encouraged, let alone
inspired me. As an undergraduate 100 years ago (at Cooper Union), I was
beaten up & down by teachers who mocked me and made constant cutting
remarks... nothing I could do was praised beyond "this looks like you
knocked it off before breakfast." (Honest, word for word -- and clearly it
still stings.) The worst was in advertising design and another in
illustration. I went on as an illustrator to be in every commercial annual
that existed... Illustrators, Art Directors, Graphis, etc.... At the time
the thought occurred to me that they felt some competitiveness... It
seemed awfully far-fetched, but it did help salve the wounds.

But again, when the children of friends or the friends of my children
asked me "should I be an artist," my answer was always, if you can ask
that question the answer is "no." If you feel you can live a fulfilled
life doing something else, for gods sake run for the exit. (I gave the
same answer when the students the age of my children at grad school asked
if they should have children.)

So whatever their unconscious or even conscious motives, these "that's
been done" teachers may be doing the right thing. Whoever is so easily
demoralized by lack of strokes, is better off at law school.

A couple of other comments:

Perhaps my most talented and successful student ever, says blithely that
as far as she's concerned, if she hasn't done it, it hasn't been done. Jon
says that too... And what anyway is "been done" ? The subject? The
human body has been done. Are we to cross that off? We haven't done THESE
human bodies. I was told "street photography has been done." Not these
streets NOW. And Jack, Edward Weston did NOT invent the naked lady, or
prefigure ANYTHING along those lines. Take a look at Frizot -- or any
history of the nude. You'll find far better by Anonymous. One difference
of course was that those were frankly erotic -- a refreshing honesty,
instead of artsy farce.

Finally in grad school I had one inspiring teacher... he did a lot of
blather, but about 15% was pure gold... which lasts a lifetime without
tarnishing. His comment/question to the class was to avoid photographing
something because it looks lke a "photograph"... That's like what Diana
says about pre-validation.

But Shannon, & company, I sense with all due respect for the brain death
of these so-called teachers, and the idiocy of insisting students do
something "new" whether or not it has been done --- photography of the
self, with cellophane or without, with raimant or without, seems to be
turning into a an attempt at therapy. Watch it. Photography is not
psychotherapy, group therapy, or whine patrol made visible. It's a visual
art form.

But I don't need to wait for answers about the class mix. And the number
of female professors.

cheers,

Judy