MFA worth it . . I'd say so

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 08/21/02-10:40:22 PM Z

> I've been wondering about that MFA thing. I wonder if the people on this
> list who have one feel that it has been helpful to them at all. Obviously,
> nowadays if you want to teach full-time at the college level, it's a
> necessity; but is it helpful in any other way?

Yes. Unfortunately many who obtain the degree want to teach. I cannot speak
for all of them but in many situations it seems they want a job, security,
money. Since my job is at a Fine Arts only institution, my desire for them
is to become artists and make photographs. There are multiple people in the
teaching field who made and still make minimal pieces of art. Much of their
success was through circumlocution. Okay, good smart talk in class regarding
a minimal output does not a photographer/artist make in my eyes.
All these instructors/teachers/profess-errs who've been mentioned on this
list perhaps do NOT make much art but know what they like .. right? No
wonder they're adamant in crits .. because they are angry at themselves!

However, what I've seen in MFA's is camaraderie, working with one's peers at
an equal level, sharing a common goal, holding and being supported regarding
one's ideals or idealistic concepts about what art is and what it takes to
make it and maintain it. I might also add the critique to this. Where else
does on get such evaluation of one's art production. The external world of
gallery, museum and publication is far more difficult to navigate when the
above qualities are not present. So, yes, an MFA today, does mean something
but I shall maintain is has much to do with the school one attends and the
group of people they are with.
But, in the long run, you have to be serious and it surely helps if you work
hard at being intelligent . . and don't lie.
Jack