Re: Calotype formulas??

From: Alan Greene (hobbyhorsedada@hotmail.com)
Date: 08/22/02-06:53:17 AM Z

Mac,

Potassium iodide, silver nitrate, glacial acetic acid, gallic acid, and
sodium thiosulfate (hypo) are all you need to make calotypes. One fairly
easy and original formula you might try is "M. [Gustave] Le Gray's Process",
cited in W. Sparling, Theory and Practice of the Photographic Art, 1856, pp.
57-59 (an Arno reprint)--this also includes sodium chloride and potassium
bromide. A starch sized paper like Southworth Resumé (found in office supply
stores) works well here, with or without additional arrowroot starch sizing
of your own. This is a process that Le Gray used around 1847-50, prior to
his more celebrated papier ciré sec [dry waxed-paper process].

Should you care to spare yourself the dizzying search through the original
technical literature, both my book, Primitive Photography (available from
Focal Press) and Richard Morris's chapter in John Barnier's Coming Into
Focus contain indications for how to make calotype negatives using
contemporary materials.

Sincerely,

Alan Greene