long gone

From: Shannon Stoney (shannonstoney@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/22/02-10:31:08 PM Z

I am just going to take a minute out of my busy schedule of taking naps,
walking with dogs, running with coyotes, throwing rocks in the creek,
hunting crawfish, eating huge piles of tomatoes with pesto sauce, admiring
zinnias, and dyeing wool yellow to say...

Um, what was I going to say?

Oh yeah. I was going to say: eat your hearts out. No, not really. I was
going to say, don't worry, I am not going back to that school on Monday. I
am going to a different school. I may go back to the first school if the
personnel changes somewhat sometime. I'm long gone/like a turkey through
the corn/with his long pajamas on/ to Bowling Green/which was his home...*

Also: lucky you, Joe, to go to a workshop with Mark Klett. I've been a big
admirer of his for a while. He's the ultimate doer of things that have been
done before; hurray for him! Also, I second your nomination of Why Art
Cannot Be Taught as essential reading. People on this list recommended it
to me a year or so ago, and I have read and re-read it. It's excellent. I
will look for Elkins' other books that you mention. Elkins says he thinks
critiques are here to stay, and maybe that's ok, but he also points out all
the weird power trips and things that are going on in them, that are
sometimes not immediately obvious. He really analyzes the social dynamic
that is the art school critique.

Speaking of books, I pulled a book off the shelf tonight at random that I've
had for some time and not read yet--The Eros of Everyday Life by Susan
Griffin--and what should I find on the cover but...Pepper #30! Our old
friend! What a funny little synchronicity. Maybe the universe is more
orderly than I thought.

--shannon

*Holy Modal Rounders song, circa 1974.