Re: Notes on Polycarbonate ground glass

From: Clay Harmon (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 08/23/02-05:38:14 AM Z

John:

Uh, I can actually speak from experience here, instead of theorizing: I own
a 14x17 camera with a p-95 plexi ground 'glass'. I was convinced by the
maker that it was a lighter, safer and more robust alternative. I believe
all that to be true. What is not discussed is that as a focusing screen, it
bites.

The plastic has such a fine etched surface that it creates the mother of all
hot spots. Image composition is excruciatingly difficult, as it is
impossible to see the whole image from a single point of view. With my
glasses on the end of my nose, I can look at any given 3" circle on the
focusing screen with my nose pressed against it. I have come to the
conclusion that the only solution is to either purchase an enormous fresnel
to slap on the thing, or change it out for a traditional ground glass.

Another subsidiary defect is that it will flex under the pressure of a loupe
- which could potentially cause focusing errors. This is avoidable, but a
defect nonetheless in my mind.

Of course, you can't put your knee through it, no matter how much you'd like
to do so after wrestling with the damn thing.

Clay